Friday, May 7

Home is...

One of the best feelings in the world is the feeling of being "home". You know...places you go where you feel that warm oozie feeling inside. Places where you feel connected to someone, something, a memory or an event. Last night, I was at the school ball field walking to the horrid port-a-potties that we have to use. As I looked around at the scoreboard, the field, the make shift concession stand, the fishing ponds and the cattle in the field next to us, I suddenly felt that feeling of being "home". Walking down the bright white concrete sidewalk with the cedar trees poking me in the side, I realized that this too is a place that my daughter will someday (if not already) get that same warm "at home" feeling. Of course, I have had that feeling many times when it comes to the school she attends. Her kindergarten year was horrible. The principle always had her nose up in the air and her teacher never cracked a smile. Sam did not like school and after that first year, we made one of the best decisions we have ever made as parents. We decided that she would attend Southeast K-12, that is 15 miles to the south, in the country. I remember Sam's first day of first grade. I walked into the school with her and we passed by Mrs. Ramsey, the principal. Sam and I were greeted with a smile and a warm "good morning". It was at that very moment, I knew I had made the correct decision. We are so privileged to have the feeling of "home". Staying in one place long enough to create that connection and foster those feelings is not as common as it used to be. Whether it be the school, our church, going back to Chapman for a few hours or many of the other places that we get that "at home" feeling, I am truly thankful that God has blessed us with the gift of being able to stay put in one place for so long. It is a blessing to know that my Sam will have great memories and that someday when we look back we will both be able to share that fabulous feeling of connection for some of the same people, places and things.

No comments: