Thursday, June 17

It's the little things....

That make life BIG. We spent a lot of time watching the College Softball World Series this year and during the Series they talked alot about the influence John Wooden had on athletes and those around him. In our house the last few weeks, we have been wondering around with the quote..."Little Things Make Big Things Happen", in our minds. But how on Earth do we teach this to our children? The obvious answer is that we lead by example and repeated exposure to these examples. I am finding, as a mom of a teenager, that this can be a little bit of a lengthy and challenging process. They know the details yet at times, sometimes very important times, the energy and effort to execute the details just doesn't happen. Since I am pretty positive that this is not the first generation of teenagers who has displayed this type of behavior, I find myself thinking back to being a teen. I wonder when it was that I figured out that the details were very impotant and it was best just to do it right the first time and that there is a pay off to doing the job right. I do remember my mom harping at me about the string art lion thing that "I didn't finish what I started" and I will have to say that once I got mad and sat down and finished it...there was a great sense of accomplishment felt. I have to wonder if it wasn't my first job at Hardee's, more so my boss Lucy that influenced what seems now to be a little bit of my OCD tendencies with scheduling, routine and details. That woman was a hard nut and getting a compliment even harder...but we wanted to make her happy. Maybe it was so she wouldn't get mad at us but we cared about what she thought, to do the job right the first time. I wonder what or who it will be in my kiddos life that will help flip the proverbial switch. For now, we will keep doing everything we are doing and continue to look for better ways to say and do it to teach the lessons.

1 comment:

Diane Jaquay said...

LOVE the birds in the birdbath, absolutely ADORABLE! Thanks for stopping by my blog today :)